If you know me well enough, you have likely heard me say that leaders of extraordinary practices think in exceptional ways.
I am firmly convinced that the difference between a mediocre and wildly successful clinical practice lies in the mind of the owner. Unlike other practice owners, highly successful practitioners have acquired skills that have positively impacted the trajectory of their practice.
Of all the things you can do, the quality of your thinking has the greatest consequences of all. The quality of your thinking determines the quality of your choices and decisions. Your choices and decisions determine the actions you take. And the actions you take determine the quality and quantity of your results.
~ Brian Tracy, Bull’s-Eye
Some of the cognitive skills that highly successful practitioners have acquired include the following:
- Seeing the Big Picture: Successful healthcare practitioners are “divergent” thinkers – seeing how problems and their solutions impact their practices in relationship to other dental practices and the industry as a whole. Thinking in a divergent manner is the benchmark of an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Creativity Thinking: Creative thinkers are the ones who view old issues in a new light. They see things from a different perspective and provide unique solutions and answers that others often fail to see.
- Exceptional Communication: Successful practitioners not only think differently, they are also skilled communicators. They are able to offer clear explanations to complicated issues. They are the thought-leaders, not only for their individual practices, but for the profession as a whole.
- Decisiveness: Successful healthcare practitioners are not always the quickest to make decisions, but they are often the most committed to the decisions once they are made. This is because they only make decisions after thoughtful review rather than compulsive “knee jerk” reactions.
- A Philosophy of Abundance: The most successful people, in any industry, will tell you that they achieve lasting success by making those around them successful. Yes, financial success is achievable with a “scarcity philosophy” but it is, more often than not, short lived.
Not all great dental and business practices are led by people who naturally possess these unique qualities. Many entrepreneurial practitioners have worked hard to develop these critical skills. Some have taken courses or have become avid readers in areas that enhance these skills. Others have surrounded themselves with a team of advisors that collectively provide these cognitive skills when addressing practice-related issues. And, some practitioners have relied on coaches to help them uncover these essential skills that they never knew they possessed.
Interestingly, the doctors that think in this extraordinary manner are also the ones that find the most joy and fulfillment in their professional endeavors. Why??…..Because they exude confidence and are willing to change course or take bold steps when their analysis indicates the need for change. They do not see themselves as being trapped in the status quo. To them, everything is fluid and subject to change. They find the path to success challenging and exciting rather than intimidating and fearful. They are fully engaged in the game. If loss of passion and clarity is the etiology of “burnout,” these folks are the living antithesis of these symptoms.
Finally, those who have developed these cognitive skills are successful leaders. People are attracted to them because of their positive energy and their focus on creating cultures that breed success. You will find that these are the ones who surround themselves with high-performance teams and experience little turnover in their staff. They become magnets for high achievers that are interested in developing their capabilities.
Ask yourself if you are one of these exceptional leaders. Do you find joy in what you do? Are you energized and fully committed to succeed? Are you excited about your future or fearful? Is dentistry just a job for you?
Please contact me for a complimentary phone consultation and I will help you uncover your essential skills.
Dr. Joel Small and Dr. Edwin McDonald, the founders of Line of Sight Coaching, are dental practitioners, authors, speakers and Business Leadership Coaches who work with healthcare professionals to help them build more successful practices so they can live the balanced life they seek.